Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Yes -- we have snow here

As a matter of fact, we have all four seasons.  Aside from having to drive in the stuff I wouldn't change a thing.  While many retirees seek year round warm (and then in the summer HOT) weather, I don't find it a fair trade-off for seeing the seasons change.  Here are just a few of things I love about living where there are four seasons:

Because I’m a bit of a fashion addict – Shorts and flip flops are great, but I really wouldn’t want to give up wearing sweaters, jackets, boots and scarves.

If you’re a kid – Sometimes it snows so much school is cancelled.  Also, in my humble opinion, no child should miss out on jumping in a pile of leaves, swimming in a lake, or catching fireflies in an open field.

It gets quiet – Sounds in the background include crickets, bullfrogs, and the occasional tractor or barking dog.

It gets dark – If you have lived your life in the city, you may THINK you’ve seen the stars.  You haven’t.  There’s what they call light pollution, and it makes the stars pale by comparison.  Come to the country and you’ll see what I mean.

If you’re into sports – Besides the organized sports, there’s both water AND snow skiing, snowboarding, snowmobiling, hiking and boating all within 45 minutes from where I live.

It’s like you get to live in four different places.  Stay put and watch the view out your window change.





Then there’s the scenery – I’m simply not willing to give up the sight of the colors of fall, jonquils in the spring, and the sight of the first tomatoes ripening on the vine.  Or a scene like this one in my back yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment