Wednesday, February 2, 2011

It's more than a courthouse....

In posts to follow I’ll be doing interviews, shooting videos, and telling you more than you probably want to know about why I moved here.  Obviously I have an ulterior motive – I want to sell houses to other people who would love living here.  But mostly, I think it’s a way to say “thank you” for the peace and contentment I’ve found here.

When I think of Hillsboro, one building in particular comes to mind – the Highland County Courthouse.  The word “iconic” seems appropriate.  According to Wikipedia it’s actually the second courthouse we’ve had in Highland County, the architecture is Greek Revival, and it’s the oldest courthouse in continuous use in the State of Ohio.

That’s all well and good, but when I see it I don’t automatically think “Greek Revival”.  I think about sitting on the lawn listening to a band that’s going to be at the top of the charts the following year.  I think about a giant Christmas tree, and how much I like living in a place where no one is offended when you don’t call it a holiday tree.  It’s not that we don’t appreciate a little cultural diversity here – it’s just that most folks are a little more laid back about it.  I’m quite sure no one would be upset if a neighbor wished them Happy Hanukah either. 

That courthouse represents 4th of July, Christmas parades, Veteran’s Day remembrances, politician’s speeches, and people who still salute the flag, and put their hand over their heart when they hear The Star Spangled Banner.

What do YOU think about when you see our courthouse?

No comments:

Post a Comment